Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central WV
- NonProfit Community Organizations / Foundations
Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central West Virginia is an affiliate of Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, the nation's oldest and most trusted community mentoring program.
Our mission is to help children reach their potential through professionally supported, one-to-one relationships with dedicated mentors and volunteers from the community.
We offer two programs for children ages 6-16: community and school-based and our adjudicated program serves youth 14-20 with more extensive services.
Our mentoring programs are more important than ever with West Virginia facing a significant crisis among our youth: highest juvenile incarceration rate in the nation; high rate of disconnected youth (not in school or employed); increasingly high poverty rates and homelessness; and nearly 30 percent of WV youth living in group homes or foster care are just a few of the disheartening statistics facing the Mountain State.
Through our proven mentoring programs, our volunteer mentors help youth understand their current circumstances do not have to define their futures. Our mentors spend approximately four hours per month providing their Littles with opportunities to see and experience the greater community around them and show them what is available to them through academic success and achievement.
We sponsor monthly Focus 5 Initiatives - applying skills that will help youth become more successful personally and professionally;problem solving, team building, financial literacy, health & wellness and entrepreneurship.
- It takes just a little time to make a big difference in a child's life.
- Our youth are great kids facing difficult circumstances.
- Our Littles are less likely to skip school, class, do drugs, drink alcohol, or engage in risky behaviors.
- Child safety is our first priority at all times.
- Training and case management assistance is provided.
Whom to Contact
- Sara McDowellExecutive DirectorPhone: (304) 746-7900