Vice President of Economic Development
The Vice President of Economic Development is responsible for the Economic Development activities of the Charleston Area Alliance. The positon reports directly to the President/CEO.
The Vice President plans, organizes, monitors, manages and evaluates economic development project activities. The position manages personnel within the economic development team of the Alliance. Responsibilities include: coordinating, directing and implementing programs and projects that support commercial, office and industrial development; workforce development; the attraction of and assistance to domestic and international businesses; small business and entrepreneurial development initiatives; and/or other economic development, technology, redevelopment or capital improvement projects.
Works areas include: business recruitment, retention and expansion, entrepreneurial support and programming, research, workforce development, the execution of long-term strategic plans such as Vision 2030, the Alliance’s 20-year economic development plan. The position is responsible for real estate development, property management and maintenance and other related activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads economic development efforts that positively impacts job creation, wealth creation, the stimulation of new capital investment, innovation, entrepreneurship and diversifies and builds the tax base
- Leads economic development recruitment efforts including marketing, entrepreneurial recruitment, the development and execution of the systems and environments that are required within a region to support entrepreneurship, and other such attraction efforts
- Leads retention and expansion efforts with local businesses, including access to technical and financial assistance programs, export assistance, innovation, process improvements and others
- Schedules and executes retention/expansion visits and documents details in database
- Maintains a working database of available properties for lease, sale or development within the area to facilitate new development and job expansion
- Assists in the coordination efforts of projects with local, county and state governmental agencies on permitting issues when necessary
- Monitors revenues and expenditures to ensure sound fiscal control for effective and efficient use of budgeted funds, materials, facilities and time
- Develops knowledge and database of funding sources from both public and private sources for economic development
- Maintains relationships with collaborative partners, prospects, business leaders and government officials
- Provides research and statistical data as needed to the Alliance team
- Produces monthly reports of activities for review by Alliance management, Alliance Board and its committees
- Event management as related to economic development activities
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience in economic development and research or demonstrate knowledge of the field
- Knowledge of how federal, state and local governments operate and interact
- Quality knowledge of computer applications such as Word, Excel, Access, Outlook
- Knowledge of economic development database tools a plus
- Must be detail oriented
- Must have strong initiative for follow-up, completion of projects
- Must have quality oral and written communication skills
- Must desire to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must have an undergraduate degree from an accredited higher education institution in business administration, public administration, accounting, marketing, economics, urban planning or other related field; a graduate degree in related fields a plus
- Communication skills, written and verbal
- Planning, organizing, prioritizing
- Problem assessment and solving
- Information gathering and monitoring
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- High level of confidentiality
- Customer/member service orientation
Excellent verbal and written skills are necessary to convey information between interoffice personnel and other stakeholders. The ability to communicate with board members, clients, vendors and staff in a courteous, tactful and concise manner is essential.
Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint software. Knowledge of other computer applications a plus. Ability to handle confidential information, work independently and meet scheduled deadlines. Ability to handle last minute requests to meet deadline requirements of projects. Possess a positive attitude, be customer service focused and have the ability to work well in a team environment. A valid driver’s license is required.
Physical Demands and Time Requirements:
Applicants should be aware of the following demands of this position:
- Must be able to work for extended periods of time including evenings and weekends
- Position may require travel out of the region
- Must hold a current driver’s license
Qualified applicants are encouraged to send resume to Paula Simms.